August 3 - 9, 2015
God has blessed us with the amazing human body and it is our responsibility to take care of it. Much research has been focused on the mind/body connection, with spirituality contributing a key component in this dynamic. In this vein, we are hosting Creekwood Health Week on August 3-9, 2015.
As you may have read yesterday in Pastor David's devotional, he has challenged us for the week with the following:
- Wake up each day and tell your loved ones that you love them.
- Pray/Meditate for 4 minutes, once a day. This is the time researchers say it takes to train your brain to see the world the way Jesus sees the world. Meditate on a scriptural promise that you need to remember. Perhaps it's your forgiveness, the forgiveness of another person, God's love for you, running the race as though to win—you pick.
- Pray out loud, as though God is always with you. So that you believe God is listening.
- Call a counselor, therapist, or pastor if you are battling unspoken issues of depression, anxiety, compulsion, or other situations better handled in the open and with someone loving you through it.
- Laugh at least 3 times a day.
- Do something kind for another person each day.
- Eat healthy.
- Exercise at least 20-30 minutes a day.
In the spirit of #7, next week we're bringing in registered dietitian Maria-Paula Carrillo MS, RDM, LD to educate us. On Monday, August 3, at 10:30 a.m., she will be talking about cooking for a family. On Thursday evening, August 6, at 7:00 p.m., she will be discussing healthy eating when you're on the go. If you need childcare in order to attend either of these events, please contact us.
Now, let's get physical. We are partnering with Camp Gladiator to offer friends and members of Creekwood a free week of boot camp! Starting August 1, Creekwood members and guests are welcome to attend a full free week of fitness. You can find a list of local camps by visiting campGladiator.com/DFW. Camps are held on the Creekwood campus M/W/F at 5:15 a.m., 9:15 a.m., and 6:00 p.m. You can often find Pastor David in the 9:15 a.m. camp.
Pure Barre of Allen, located in Watters Creek (and soon to have a sister location in McKinney at Stonebridge Ranch), has also offered a special opportunity to our members and guests. For the months of August and September, sign up for the New Client Special, one month of unlimited Pure Barre classes, and receive an additional week for free! Pure Barre is a full-body, low-impact workout designed to create long, lean muscles without bulk. Contact Pure Barre at 214-383-9235 to sign up and let them know you are a Creekwood member or guest. No word yet on if we'll see Pastor David "Lift, Tone, Burn" as they say at Pure Barre, but we'll try!
Community partnerships are at the heart of Creekwood. Are you currently participating in a health or fitness program that would be able to extend special trial offers to Creekwood members? If so, please contact Sandy McKinney.